In the meantime, I figure I may as well share an idiosyncratic yet essential aspect of my writing-process. Many of my pieces of writing are composed to a dedicated "soundtrack;" as a musician and a writer in whose writing music and sound tends to play a large role, it's essential for me that the piece that I'm working on maintain a particular "sound" in the style that it's written in. Most of the "tone" of my writing is based first-and-foremost on sound. Therefore, I make a playlist of the sound and tone that I'm trying to achieve (often, like this one, including songs of my own that were composed exclusively for the purpose of capturing and understanding the "sound" of the piece of writing at hand [not all of my own pieces on this list were composed explicitly for that purpose however, some just fit the mood well] ) and listen to that exclusively while writing and editing.
Here is, then, the "soundtrack/ playlist" for a piece titled "Nails Dig In (In The Mouth of the Wolf)."
(wink/ hint/ wink to those who stumble on this while helping me edit/ reading for submission/ reading the work if it happens to get published somewhere; these tracks also feature/ include a few easter-egg internal-references within the work that add additional layers of meaning.)
1) LeVautourEnsemble- Physical Consent
2) The Stiletto Formal- ...tastes like black licorice
3) Placebo- Protect Me From What I Want
4) LeVautourEnsemble- Hybrid Eyes
5) Crystal Castles- Not In Love (feat. Robert Smith)
6) Miike Snow- Plastic Jungle
7) LeVautourEnsemble- Mamihlapinatapei; Searching For Words In Other Tongues.
(Sorry, this one is currently unavailable. It's slated for a forthcoming compilation as a "previously unreleased" track, and it wouldn't quite be "unreleased" if I dropped it here, now would it? ;) )
8) Bright Eyes- Lover I Don't Have To Love
9) Yeasayer- O.N.E.
10) LeVautourEnsemble with Antoine 518- Wave (Our Confusion Is Just What We Need)
(this is another in the previously-unreleased category, this one a recent collab-track, but I'm dropping this one here. That's right, this is exclusive-type-shit. Brand new, just for you.)
11) Bloc Party- Like Eating Glass
12) The Strays- Life Support
13) The Mars Volta- Ilyena